The National Data Buoy Center is part of NOAA's National Weather Service and maintains (or has access to) a vast network of data collecting buoys and coastal stations around the world. It's easier than ever to now get the data in the palm of your hand!
Get The App!If you have an iPhone or iPad, get the NOAA Buoy and Tide Data app. This app is the perfect tool to help plan your time on the water.
- Search for buoys by name or region
- View buoys near you with customizable search radius
- Use GPS or manually enter location
- Works with iPhone, iPod, and iPad versions
- Interactive map of locations
- Detailed lice buoy data with access to location specific forecasts
- Save your favorites for easy access
Get a Text Message!The easiest way to get the the data is to simply text the buoy number to (734) 418-7299 and you will have the latest info within 10 seconds...now that's fast.
Buoy 45029 happens to be the one that I check most often...about 3 miles offshore from Pigeon Lake (between Grand Haven and Holland).
Although some of the buoys are now offline (brought back in for the winter), you can still access data from the mid-lake buoys and also get data (minus water info) from the many land based stations along the coast.
Using these resources will ensure that you have the data you need if you're heading to one of our great lakes or on a trip to other SUP destinations around the world.